Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blizzard 2011: A report from South Amana

I don’t know if you heard, but we got a wee bit of snow here in Iowa last night. Looks like we received about 10 inches of snow, though it is hard to tell with all of the drifting.  At my place snow was up to the doors of my car and the lawn furniture was barely visible. Early morning was time for snow removal here in town, and I sure all around the Midwest.  Lucky for me I have a kind neighbor with a snow blower who dug out our sidewalk and my car, so I only had minimal shoveling.
 Despite the wind and the cold after my shoveling was done I decided to walk to the post office to get the mail and to see how the rest of South Amana fared the storm.  Crunching through knee deep drifts I saw a lot of people with shovels and snow blowers trying to dig out their drive ways. Around the corner from my place I ran into neighbors who were supposed to be on a flight to Texas last night. Obviously their plans were change and they spent the first day of their vacation with shovels in hands instead of drinking margaritas in the shadow of the Alamo. (They didn’t tell me their plans in Texas, but if I was going to Texas, that’s what I would be doing).

 At the post office I had a nice talk with the Postmistress. She described an adventurous ride to work on a snowmobile. I don’t think she would have made it any other way since the drive to the post office was drifted in.  Apparently there were quite the snow drifts on highway 6 early this morning and snowmobile was the only way to get into town from out in the country.

After a night of watching snow fall and hearing the wind howl it was nice to see my little village a busy little hive of snow removal. The snow has stop and so has the gale force winds, hopefully life will be back to normal tomorrow.

Digging out in My Town: Amana Colonies
Brandi

No comments:

Post a Comment